|The original fireplace in gray stone, on the left. I decided to glaze the stone in beige/brownish
tones, install crown moulding and build a fireplace mantel.
|I also changed the grout color by brushing and ragging in diluted latex color.
I then mixed some grout and filled the gaps between the crow moulding and the stone.
|The crown moulding installed (I only nailed the crown to the ceiling and used liquid
nails to glue it to the stone). The stone I glazed with leftover latex paint. I mixed a
couple of different shades of beige/browns and I used sponges, brushes and rags to
re-create a stone like finish. In certain places I allowed the original stone to show
through. In this photo the grout was still the original gray.
|I needed a longer shelf for the mantel. I cut two pieces of wood, I drilled a hole
through each piece, I applied carpenter's glue on each side of the shelf, and I
screwed the additions onto each side.
|I made four boxes out of leftover plywood and I glued them to the stone with liquid
nails. The upper boxes I also gun nailed into the shelf. The shelf I dressed with a
decorative trim and the boxes with rosettes.
|The corbels are the only expensive investment in this specific project.
To make the mantel more intricate, I cut off the lower middle section of the
decorative piece below.
|Finished fireplace mantel.
For the middle piece I used 3/4" plywood. I first drew the shape with a pencil (I also followed the design of the
decorative piece) and I cut the shape with a jig saw. I then glued/gun nailed the decorative piece onto the plywood
shape and I dressed the outer edge with decorative moulding. Once installed, I caulked everything, primed and
faux-finished/glazed the entire mantel.
|Finished fireplace. The crown moulding I faux finished with the same colors I used on the stone.
|The original built in cabinets/benches on each side of the fireplace.
|The picture is self explanatory.
|Because the surface was shiny I had to first sand it, otherwise the new paint is subject to peelin. I also changed and
re-positioned the handles. The original light fixture in front of the fireplace I eliminated and I installed wall sconces on
top of each bench (on both opposite walls of the room).
I have yet to sew cushions and pillows for the benches, and drapes on each side of the windows (also do the flooring).