|I bought a used, basic wall unit for $50.00. Originally the unit had no mid upper cabinet, just a header resting on the two
side cabinets. But it fit my space perfectly and I would have made changes anyway. I needed four cabinet compartments for
my girls to sleep at night or when I was not home. I also wanted a built-in electric fireplace. I decided to build the fireplace
box and mantel on top of the cabinets so I could watch it from my bed.
All the new, extra material cut to size and ready to get built.
|A partial before picture of the wall.
|The stone in the fireplace box installed and the entire unit in base coat.
|The unit rebuilt and decorated. I also pulled electric for the fireplace and I installed a switch for the cabinets light fixtures.
|The middle of the doors I cut off because I needed to install mesh for the air to circulate inside the
cabinets when my pups would be in, sleeping.
|The stone broke, but the pieces could by glued back together. With a razor blade I a removed the glue residue off the doors. Yes, it's much easier to
cut new doors but I was stretching every dollar.
|Originally the doors had a stone like texture on the front. I decided to carefully remove the stone texture and use it to
decorate the fireplace box.
|This is a temporary after picture of the unit. I also moved the door frame further to the right, installed new doors, I
removed the existing trim, plastered and faux-finished the walls and installed new crow moulding.